Unified Communications Explained Forums VoIP Detective Extension Length and 911 values

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Leech
    Participant

Does the extension length value have any major impact on the system? I only ask because, and it’s a long story, but we have both 4 and 5 digit extensions on our system. The majority are 4, so that’s what I put the value as.

Also for the 911 field – users can dial either 9911 or 911 to get to emergency services. So if I put 911 in the field, I’m guessing it would only send alerts on that?

Originally we had 9911 to help keep people from dialing it on accident, but since legislation passed requiring 911 to work on its own, we added that, and now either work.

Thanks again for your help!

Terry Mason
    Keymaster

Extension length does play a part in several sections. There are checks to verify that someone is using their extension for their username(this may change in the future), but this is also required to tell what is an internal call and what is not. I’ll think about this a bit, but I’m not sure if a fix will be coming anytime soon.

For 911, this is a good point. I think most companies have multiple emergency numbers. I’ll put this on the todo list.

Aaron Leech
    Participant

Fair enough – our 5 digit extensions are for patient rooms in our hospital, so it’s not the end of the world if they aren’t accounted for 100% correct, as long as we can still run a search on them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.